Johor’s Forest City: From ‘Ghost Town’ to Flourishing Eco-Metropolis

forest city

Celebrating its seventh year in Malaysia, the Forest City project in Johor, once widely referred to as a “ghost town,” marks an important step in the growth of sustainable and flourishing communities, according to Country Garden Pacificview Sdn Bhd (CGPV).

CGPV, the master developer and real estate collaboration between Esplanade Danga 88 Sdn Bhd and Country Garden Holdings Co Ltd, is making steady progress on Forest City. Esplanade Danga 88, an associate company of Kumpulan Prasarana Kerajaan Johor, owns a 40% stake in CGPV, while the remaining 60% is held by Guangdong-based Country Garden.

The strategically placed Forest City, a mere two kilometres from Singapore and in proximity to the state government administrative hub and the Iskandar Malaysia economic zone, was established seven years ago with an ambitious vision to create a green, future-forward metropolis.


Spanning 30 square kilometres, Forest City will comprise around four million square metres of constructed area, according to a CGPV statement. The project aims to develop an eco-friendly urban landscape that could accommodate hundreds of thousands of residents, showcasing the perfect blend of modern urban living and environmental consciousness.

Currently, Forest City houses the Legacy Golf Course and Classic Golf Course, both 18-hole international-standard courses, enhanced by the five-star Golf Hotel and the Marina Hotel. The developer has also constructed the Second Link, connecting Singapore, and provides shuttle bus services for residents and tourists to reach shopping areas.

With an estimated completion date in 2035, Forest City has already seen investment surpassing RM20 billion. Despite previous reports implying the failure of the mega-project, around 6,000 individuals now reside in the development area, encompassing homeowners and business tenants.

Earlier this year, CGPV affirmed that residential units in Forest City are being rented as employee hostels to factories in the Gelang Patah area. The company stated that it has been laying the foundation for development over the past seven years, with many more exciting activities and projects in the pipeline.

Compare listings